Mathews County was formed from the Kingston Parish
part of Gloucester County. The county is named after Thomas Mathews,
a soldier of the Revolutionary War who later became Speaker of the
Virginia House of Delegates. In 1790 he enacted the legislation for
Mathews to become an independent county.
Richard Billups, a local resident began the construction
of the Mathews Courthouse in 1792. The building was completed in 1795.
The Courthouse Square also includes a jail house completed In 1795
and a Clerk's office built in 1859. Today, the Courthouse Square is
listed in the Virginia Landmark Register and the National Register
of Historic Places.